Online Baby Shower


Dear Friends,

As Baby Sutterfield's aunt, I would like to take a moment to express how excited we are about this upcoming and life changing moment. We are so thrilled about this new addition, and we are eager to bring everyone together for this big event. Because so many of April and Spencer's friends live far away, we are pleased to present this website as a way for friends to stay connected during this time. We invite you to participate in either or both of the two ways listed below.

You can choose to:

1. Be a Web Watcher and read up on Baby Sutterfield's progress and growth, play interactive online games, and participate in polls

2. Be a Memory Maker and receive a Memory Maker kit which will include:
a) a quilt square you can decorate for Baby Sutterield (which April will eventually sew into a patchwork quilt)
b) a blessings card on which you may write well wishes for the family. Blessings cards will be roped together and hung in the delivery room during the home birth and eventually put into Baby Sutterfield's birthday book.

Thank you so much for helping make this birth a special and memorable event.

Sincerely,

Deana Wood

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Casualties of Pregnancy


Four women are currently pregnant at the children's museum where I sometimes work as a teaching artist. For the first two trimesters of pregnancy, I would just smile as they outlined all their pregnancy ails--morning sickness, extreme fatigue, urinary tract infection, etc. My pregnancy had been a breeze. I had gotten a little tired during the first trimester, but nothing that couldn't be taken care of with a brief afternoon nap.

Enter the third trimester. The first DAY of my third trimester I had a rash all over my body, my back began hurting, and my ankles started swelling. I called my midwife. She suggested my rash was probably due to a lack of proper liver functioning--a fairly common problem in pregnancy and recommended I take milk thistle. For my back, she gave me the business card for her chiropractor, Dr. Stewart. She said it was too early for swelling. Given Spencer's recent report to her regarding my protein intake, she deducted a lack of protein must be the culprit.

Fast forward to a month and a half later. The rash is gone, and I don't think it was my liver. I think it was a skin allergy. Dr. Stewart has resolved the back pain issue. And the swelling....I started charting my protein intake and realized I really had to make every meal and every snack count. An apple won't do the job, but an apple with 2-4 tablespoons of peanut butter will. I kept my swelling down when I ate between 60 to 80 grams of protein a day.

For the past two weeks, the swelling has returned. Apparently, it is appropriate at this time given where I am in the pregnancy and the extreme Arkansas heat and humidity. Nevertheless, it is still interesting to look down and not recognize a part of your own body.

3 comments:

Natalie Buckwalter said...

Love those ankles! I remember all about the swelling, but trust me, they do go down almost immediately after the birth. It is amazing to watch the "transformation." :-) You are looking great girlfriend!
Natalie

Anonymous said...

Just think how thankful you'll be to have that awesome little one AND your ankles in a few weeks!
Love ya!
S

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the swelling. Your ankles actually look like my ankles, but I am not pregnant! Joel and I are so excited for you! We love you, wish you well and hope to meet/see the little soon!
Love,
Lauren and Joel